Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Silver and Gold

One of my favourite songs:

Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver, and the other gold.


Well, I have some new friends (aka projects) and some golden friends.


These 2 projects are the other quilts for my friend with 3 daughters.




This is a kit  that I have had for a few years now. When I got it, I knew it came with pink instead of red but I never could seem the right person to make it for.  Earlier this year I had decided to just use the fabric for something else. I am so happy now that I have found the perfect girl for this quilt.



I had a hard time deciding for my friend's oldest daughter. I started off with a pink and yellow scheme, and I first thought about doing another log cabin but decided there was too many other quilts I wanted to try. I then thought about the pineapple block. I liked the idea of using the 1 1/2 inch strips in a completely different way. Then I remembered the Cameos quilt pattern I have which is based on the pineapple block. I dug into my stash and found an Eden charm pack. I decided to use them for the centres and my colour scheme; pink, yellow, purple and green. I tried a block last week and I really love it. It does not require any special rulers, but I had bought the pineapple ruler a few years ago and had not used it yet. It works well with the pattern, and it is nice to know I am also use my "ruler stash".










Now to my golden friends. Darlene is one of the most amazing quilters I know. She sent me this scissor fob and I love it so much. I love too knowing the fact that I will have her with me in my sewing room.




I have another golden friend. She is amazing at everything and so supportive of all my quilting. She also has  ESP because somehow she knew I had broken my favourite pin dish a few weeks ago. She came back from a trip to Switzerland with this for me:







My daughter did try to tell me that it was really meant as a bathtub and proceeded to wash her rocks in it. Luckily I was able to rescue it when she was not looking. Wishing you all silver and gold!

4 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I was a Girl Scout leader for over 8 years, I know that song sooo well!! I love what you are doing, I love bright fabrics. How sweet to have friends give you goodies. A rock bath, very funny!

Ariane said...

I love your pineapple block. Great colours. Your scissor fob is just adorable, and that cow pin holder is just too cute. Are you going to the Guild meeting next week? I missed you at the last one. Also wanted to know if you plan on going on the bus trip again in March. I plan on going this time. I hope you are doing well!!!!

Lee D said...

oh i remember that song from being a Girl Scout (US) leader. I then taught my Girl Guides (Cdn) that song later. Your pineapple blocks are great.

Unknown said...

the block is lovely! and I like your little gifts. I've never heard of a scissor fob... pretty sweet to have such kind friends!