Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

AQS in Lancaster

I went to the AQS show in Lancaster last week with my guild. We took a busload down. We left early Wednesday morning and came back late Saturday night. I had a wonderful time. The trip was well organized by 2 members of the guild and no one was ever late. The quilts at the show were incredible. It is amazing what you can do with fabric. One of the members of my guild had a quilt entered in the show. It was great to get to see it.


I decided to go there with a very specific wish list. I was able to get everything on my list, except for one particular fabric I was looking for. Since I do a lot of online shopping, I focused on things that were more challenging to ship, like batting. I cried at how cheap batting is in the States. I bought 7 yards at Joann's, and bamboo batting in twin and king size at the show. Now I have no excuse not to get my bed quilt made.

 I also got backings for some of the quilts I have been working on. I bought backing for my Jelly Roll Sampler quilt, and for my Aster Manor quilt that I am going to make using a Honeybun.





I found the Scrap-Basket Surprises book for a great price. I had to get it after seeing Darlene's fabulous quilt from it.






The big thing I noticed at the show was all the rulers. That seemed to be the popular thing was to make your own ruler to go with your patterns and then sell them. I did end up buying one that is suppose to help you accurately cut your flying geese units. I am going to use it to make my potholders. I also got a great deal on rotary cutter blades, and bought a seam ripper recommended to me by a friend.






There were definitely a few highlights of the trip. One of them was spending time with my aunt-in-law who came on the trip with me. We had a fabulous time together. She is a quilter as well but does not live near me so we don't get to spend a lot of time together. Another one was getting to meet Eleanor Burns. She was so nice and friendly, and I was able to thank her for helping me in my quilting journey.



 Julie and I

My last highlight was getting to meet and spend time with Julie. We have been corresponding for almost a year and are in the Bee Beautiful group together. I had emailed her to tell that I was going to the show and she rearranged her schedule so that we could meet.  I had a fabulous time with her and it was great to meet her dad as well. She is a wonderful person, and a wonderful quilter.


I thought I was going to be all quilted out, after the non stop quilting environment for 4 days, but on Sunday I was back at my sewing machine with renewed energy to get my projects done.

3 comments:

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

it was so great to meet you too!! i'm glad you found a lot of goodies to take home with you!! {but i think i actually am quilted out at the moment... gasp!}

Leeanne said...

Hi dresden quilter,I found the link to your blog somewhere, but it caught my eye as the dresden Plate is my all time favourite block.Nice blog.

Karen said...

Let us know how the Wing Clipper works.