Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Healthy Quilting Lifestyle

Okay, I did not want to say the D word, but we all know what it is. I need to have a healthier quilting lifestyle. My plan is not to buy any more fabric, or participate in any more swaps until I have a certain amount of projects done. I can only buy fabric if I need it to finish a project where I already have most of the fabric. As I write this I realize I am not sure if I have enough yellow for my 9 patch squares. Of course, I have not quite determined how many projects that will be. This is not a punishment to myself, rather it is an incentive to keep going. I see so many gorgeous fabrics and patterns out there and I would love to have the opportunity to do some of them. I just have too many projects already. It would be easier if I was a stashaholic. In a moment of weakness last week, I admitted to my dh that I have 25 projects organized. Only a few of them are UFO's. Sunday was Father's Day, and we went to see my father-in-law who lives a few hours away. Well, it just so happens that there is a quilt shop 10 minutes from his house. Yes, we ended up there and yes I ended up buying new fabric for a project. They had some fall fabric on for 40% off, and I bought some to make a table runner for my mom. That's part of my problem too, that I am rarely buying fabric for myself so I feel justified in buying it. It does not help for me to be creating more stress for myself, especially when I work full-time, have young children, have a husband who works longer hours than me and is away a few times a month. I saw this quote on this website and I thought it was very applicable "Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when it comes along." I do love the projects I have, I just look forward to a bit more spontaneity.

PS. For my friend Myra, the D word is diet.


7 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

I'm on a fabric diet of sorts myself. So I guess this means you wouldn't be interested in the fat quarter bundle I'm selling! :)

Myra said...

Holy crow Michelle!!!! When you mentioned the "D" word, I was thinking divorce!?!! lol! Not that humorous really...Sheesh! Yikes! We have to be careful with our shortcuts don't we... lol! "DONE!
Good luck with keeping your wallet in your bag... and it helps to stay away from the shops... 8-)

Angela Nash said...

I hear you! I keep starting new things, worried that I will forget whatever that cool new fabric/pattern if I don't start. I'm pushing myself to finish some things, too!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I wish you all the best!!

Aunt Spicy said...

Ditto! I am right there with you. No more swaps and no more fabric buying till I get caught up on my million partially/almost finished projects!

Deb said...

Michelle.. sometimes you are allowed to cheat on a diet as long as it is worth the cheat. with the buy you had it was worth it.. moderation girl..moderation!! I say the same words as you in the fabric/swap issue.. but have joined a cat block swap and stopped at a shop with mother and spent more than I needed to.. but the percentage (50) was worth it..

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Gosh I hate the D word in any situation. I'm terrible at it. Terrible! Good luck though. I need good role models.